Scientific Proof that God Exists

Thursday, March 25, 2010

In Everything Give Thanks

Life has its troubles and tragedies. There are times when it is not easy to be thankful. But 1 Thess. 5:18 commands us, “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” We cannot escape the fact that God expects us to be thankful no matter what circumstances may come to our lives. True, these verses are easier read than obeyed.
Last year (2009) during our visit to South Africa, the second day in our hometown of East London, a car came from behind and rode over my right foot. The foot was fractured and I needed an operation to be able to walk again. As I lied on my back next to the parked cars in the parking lot, I wondered what to make of this setback. All our holiday plans were cancelled and I faced weeks of using crutches after the operation and then painful physiotherapy. My dear wife had to do most of the domestic duties and even help me to get around and drive the car. The initial shock diminished and I started to have positive thoughts about God’s presence right there on the road.
The fact is: God never commands what He cannot enable us to do. So if He commands me to be thankful in all things, then He will enable me to obey Him, and I will be a better person because of it. God permitted Job to go through all kinds of trials (Job 1-2), yet in the end the trials were for Job’s good and His glory. Job suffered and wept but his trials led to glory and joy (James 5:10-11). You can be sure that your Father in heaven loves you and He can be trusted. Our first reaction to difficulties, tragedy or some trial is, “Why did this happen?” and our second reaction is probably “Why did this happen to me?” Well, I am walking with the Lord, obeying Him, and serving Him, why should this trial come to me? At this point the devil will come and tempt us to doubt God’s love and care. Now you must lay hold of the truth that God loves you and cares. Circumstances may seem against you, the devil may accuse you, friends may abandon you, but God loves you just as much as He did when He gave the Lord Jesus to die for you on the cross. Your circumstances have changed and your feelings have changed, but God’s character has not changed.
“In everything give thanks…” We cannot obey that commandment in our own strength; we need the power of the Spirit of God and the encouragement of the Word of God. I looked at the situation with disappointment and wondered what God has planned, but I knew and had peace that His love, care and plan can never fail me. Because we love Him and He loves us, we trust Him and as our hope grows stronger, we are able to praise the Lord and give thanks – in everything.
Louis Ackermann

No comments:

Post a Comment